For those who must write as part of their job, being able to write well is a real career boost. Learn how to capture your thoughts on paper so they are strong and persuasive, but at the same time clear, concise, complete, and correct.
We can think about writing either as a process or as a product, the finished piece of writing. If we can think of it as a process, then by changing the way we go about writing, we can change the finished product. While participants will still be aiming to turn out a good product, their sense of satisfaction will arise partly from a greater appreciation of the process by which they get there. This two-day workshop will concentrate on the nitty-gritty details that writers have to contend with, and give them some practical advice on making the job less difficult. They will also have opportunity to discuss their writing problems and share solutions with others in the workshop.
How You Will Benefit:
- Have a better grasp of the basics of writing—that is, better appreciate the grammar, spelling, punctuation and sentence structure required for writing correctly.
- Practice the ability to write concisely and clearly, so that the reader will grasp quickly the message of the written material.
- Learn the process of gathering material, putting it in a format that addresses the points under discussion, and bringing closure to the situation, through recommendations or next steps.
- Develop a writing style in keeping with that used by experienced writers.
What You Will Cover:
- The Four C’s
- Active vs. passive voice
- Punctuation Tips
- Sentence and Paragraph Structure
- Writing Business Letters
- Writing Reports and Memos
- Inclusive Language
- Spelling and Proofreading
- E-mail Etiquette